Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What Am I Working On?

Do you remember these blocks from a few weeks ago?
They are now in a quilt.  I showed you what they looked like all sewed together.  If you don't believe me, just scroll back and look.  Put together, they don't resemble the blocks themselves at all!
This is the elusive fabric that I had run out of and really wanted more to make a small inner border.  I just about kissed the vendor lady at the Philadelphia quilt show who had 2 yards of it.  Yes, I came home with 2 yards even though I only needed maybe half a yard.  You just never know.
See--strips for the inner border.  Yes, I use the Martelli ergonomic rotary cutter.  I fell in love with it maybe 8 or 9 years ago and haven't found one I like better.  Now...what to use for the outer border....I have that lovely batik that was what I was thinking about using.......
This is what happens when you listen to your fabric stash when it begins to yell at you.  I had this lovely piece of pale aqua silk sitting in my stash.  It was screaming at me even though I was doing my best to ignore it.  Oh well.  This is what it looked like after going through the washer and dryer.  Yes, I washed it and dried it before wrestling it into something that might go in my quilt.
This is what you have to do to silk.  Starch...iron...starch....iron....starch.....iron....etc.  ad nauseum.
Now that I have the silk pressed into something I can work with, I fold it and cut it into wide border strips for the quilt.  I am beginning to get excited about the prospect of what it will look like.
First, I sew the small inner border strips onto the wide silk strips.
Then I run the raw side of the silk through the serger to control the raveling.  That takes commitment!  Dragging the serger out....setting it up....remembering how to thread the darn thing.....and making sure it is sewing right....oh well, it worked.
Sewing the border strips onto the center of the quilt.   Hmmmm....how's that for a teaser?  More to come....

Keep doodling....in spite of the earthquakes, tornadoes, and floods of central Oklahoma.  Really....you want me to stop sewing for that?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment